Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Visit from David Gordon

"Little rig, little rig, let me come in!"
"Not by the chrome on my chinny chin chin."
"Then I'll crash and I'll bash and I'll smash your house in."

Just before the holiday hub-bub set in, our first grade class was lucky enough to score a last minute invitation to visiting children's book author and illustrator David Gordon's presentation at our school.

I didn't know his books before this but my students did.  They were excited to meet the man behind The Three Little Rigs, a book several of them really love.  And I was excited because, well, he is a children's book author!

We entered the library eager to hear his stories but I felt a little unprepared. I hadn't read his books.  I didn't discuss his visit with the children beforehand.  We hadn't created a list of questions.  We went in cold.

So it was a delight for me when he introduced himself and started to read from his charming "lint free love story" Smitten.  It is a love story between a sock and a mitten...Smitten.  I was hooked.

Next, he read The Three Little Rigs. It is his motorized take on one of my favorite fairy tales.  The illustrations in this book are vibrant and happy but my favorite is the pig-faced wrecking ball.

It is always a treat to meet the author.  David happily answered our questions and even drew a few pictures before we bade him farewell.  Of course I had to get autographed copies of both books and ask him to pose for a picture with me.

Thanks to our inimitable librarian Sara for arranging another stellar author visit.  It is an embarrassment of riches at PS347!

2 comments:

Ms.M said...

I am always so envious you get to meet so many children book authors. I have to pick up The 3 Little Rigs, when we do out transportation unit.

Ms. M
Ms.M's Blog
A Teacher's Plan

Gary said...

It looks like Tad Hills will be our next author. We are truly lucky to have these wonderful authors visit. I guess our location is convenient.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails