Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sebastien's Star Machine

Just before I journeyed off on my Italian adventure this summer I received a cylindrical package in the mail from that talented and good looking artist Sebastien.

Enclosed was a drawing, pictured above, entitled "The Star Machine" (I regret that I am unable to present it here in its glory but I cannot seem to figure out a way to photograph it without casting shadows - click here for a better view of the original Star Machine.)

It is a challenge to try to find the words to describe his work but I will give it a go. His approach is a mix of the wit and innocence of A.A. Milne (author of Winnie-the-Pooh) and the macabre charm of Edward Gorey.

It is children's art that is not entirely for children. Funky parents with a sense of humor and magical, believing souls like The Little Prince can appreciate the simple and off-center masterpieces Sebastien creates.

I have been gushing about his stuff for a while now and I think my friend Joy put it well when she said she can easily envision The Star Machine or some of his other works like this or this or this hanging on a child's bedroom wall.

They are pictures that are at once familiar and friendly but also new and exciting.

Sebastien is an artist and author waiting to explode on the big scene. And if all is as it should be in the world he will one day be a multi-millionaire with book deals (check out his ABC series), merchandising contracts (who wouldn't want one of those cute stuffed bears with detachable arms) and speaking engagements across the country.

But until that time I am going to have The Star Machine framed so I can proudly hang it in my classroom to remind my students that anything is possible.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

I'm trying to figure out how to decorate rooms vacated by my children. Perhaps Sebastien's artwork? Thanks for the tip-off before this wonderful artist is acclaimed by the world!

Sebastien Millon said...

Thanks so much Gary, I am so embarrassed by all your kind words!!!

WAT said...

Lemme tell ya something, as an entertainer myself waiting to be discovered and appreciated (AHEM), I am speechless with Seb's art as of late. It is so freaking great and witty and morbid and dark at times too, and I LOVE IT!

I really hope this guy goes far...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails