Sunday, December 5, 2010

1,000 Words to Sign

My co-teacher, Lauren (that's her on the cover!), is featured in the new American Sign Language book 1,000 Words to Sign by Geoffrey S. Poor.

It is a pictorial dictionary that also includes an instructional DVD showing the signs in motion.

The DVD contains letters, numbers and words that appear in the book both with subtitles (as a learning aid) and without (as a testing aid).

The author includes a touch of linguistic information at the start of the book including a brief history of ASL in addition to grammar.  His explanations are clear and helpful.

For those of you interested in learning American Sign Language this book is a great way to kick off your journey and motivate interest.  And for those of you who already know some sign, it will serve as a useful resource.

Congratulations Lauren, and my fellow co-worker Darren, for your work on this project.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

Wow! You share your teaching space with some really famous people! Congrats to Lauren. Every time I see someone signing for a performance or function, I realize I might like to know this useful language.

Gary said...

Yes, they are beautiful and talented. I hate them.

Arielle Lee Bair said...

How awesome for Lauren! I'm so sorry it's been a while since I've commented here. I do read, but I often do it in passing and you always leave such nice comments on my blog that I really need to make it a point to share the love. :) I am always amazed by the work you do and the positive spirit you have, Gary. I truly mean that.

LadrĂ³n de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

That's great to see Lauren on the cover. She is beautiful in person but also very photogenic. Though I would have voted for you on the cover as well!

Gary said...

Arielle - I am the same way with blogging. I read posts but don't always comment because I have nothing to add or am not on my own computer or any number of reasons. It also goes in cycles. There are times when I am all about blogging/commenting and other times I have no interest. I get it. That said, I love reading comments and am delighted to see yours (especially as you are so complimentary :)

Gregg - I shared this with Lauren and I do believe she blushed. I don't need to see my photo on a book cover but would love to see my name! One of these days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails