Saturday, May 14, 2011

Fruit Pops!

We had another Kindergarten Café winner this week with Fruit Pops!

This simple, healthy recipe from Disney's Magic Kitchen Cookbook had our students skewering strawberries, blueberries, bananas, blackberries and grapes, although any fruit can be used - the cookbook suggests kiwi and we recommend a bit of pineapple.

Two main points hit home with this...

1. Healthy snacks inspire as much excitement as those involving chocolate, butter and candy.  As the kids passed trays of fruit they remarked that this was the best K-Cafe ever! Go figure.

2.  There are wonderful lessons about cooperation to be learned in the smallest of activities.  It was a pleasure to watch as they helped one another or politely asked for a strawberry.

We look forward to trying some of the other recipes in this cookbook.  A big thank you to Ian and Barby for bringing it to our attention.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

I think kids are really born with an inclination to love all fruit. Unfortunately many don't get the chance to experience the variety of fruit that is out there until much later in life. What a great idea to make fruit- eating fun!

Gary said...

Angella - xo

Barbara - In my experience kids love fruit (especially strawberries) but the one thing that seems to bring about a look of disgust is....celery. And I LOVE celery. Anyway, this week we made strawberry/banana smoothies. They loved it!

Barbara said...

I think celery is an acquired taste that some people never develop. My daughter and husband both hate it so I never buy it. In fact I had to omit celery from my curried lentil spinach soup recipe tonight because there was not a stalk to be found in my refrig.

But strawberry banana smoothies are another matter. I never met someone who didn't love them!

I hope you introduce your kids to the strangest of strange fruits, which I'm sure you can get where you live. Star fruit, kiwi, coconut, and all those exotic fruits like mango, papaya, and guava. You can probably tell I'm a fruit-o-holic!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails