Thursday, August 14, 2014

Momentum


I had romantic notions of a Hemingwayesque summer filled with a disciplined balance of writing all morning and replenishing the spirit late in the afternoon.

But, I am not Hemingway.

The mornings are too full of distractions.  The sunlight calls to me during the day and it is a struggle to ignore it.  Avoidance leads to inertia. I've spent days refusing to commit to not committing. When that happens, nothing is accomplished.

It turns out my work habits are better suited towards how I imagine Edgar Allen Poe must have worked.  I am most productive when it is dark and everyone has gone to bed.  Distractions cease and I no longer feel as though I am missing something beautiful.

I am a whiz from midnight to four a.m.

I may not have had the most adventurous summer but with my rhythm established it has been productive.  I completed data analysis in July and am currently on track to eek out a completed draft of my dissertation within the next month.

WITHIN THE NEXT MONTH!

I see some late nights in my near future.

4 comments:

37paddington said...

it's so important to follow your natural working rhythms. The end is in sight!!!

Gary said...

This is the first time that I've had an opportunity to write without the demands of working full-time and commuting four hours a day. This was a luxury. But it made me realize that writing IS a full-time job. My hat is off to you!

CCACaptioning said...

CAPTIONING boosts literacy, no doubt about it! We hope you add quality captioning to your list of suggestions for all soon. Learn more from the CCAC - volunteers, non-profit - http://CCACaptioning.org
(for hearing folks too)
LS/CCAC

Gary said...

Captioning! Of course! Duly noted and has been added to my future lists. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails