Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Second Home

Monday morning we arrived back to school after Mid-Winter Recess to discover that a new set of gorgeous windows were installed in our absence.  Our already scrumptious classroom has been made even more exquisite with these amazing additions.  The previous occupants were dingy Plexiglas that blocked the light and the view.

The new shades have not yet been installed so the sunlight is free to shine and sparkle unencumbered.  Lauren and I feel like we just signed a lease for a Soho loft.  They open up the space in a way that we couldn't have imagined.  

Light bounces off the mirrors and glass vases. It creates shadows on the walls and on the table tops. It energizes the students and lifts our mood. 

I tried to capture the magic but photos just can't reproduce the happy vibe. But, while I had the camera out I decided to take a bunch of pictures of the room.  

I have included only three here because when they are viewed together they represent a good portion of the room. I took these today after the kids went home so I had the opportunity to straighten up a bit before I started clicking.

As any teacher or parent knows things can get messy sometimes when children are involved, but Lauren and I understand that there is such a thing as a 'good' mess.  It means that the students are invested and involved with the task before them.

But for now, no mess.  Just sunlight, shadows and lots of shiny!

14 comments:

Pauline said...

who would not love spending time in that room of light!

Joy Keaton said...

the pictures totally show a difference - it looks great!

Mum's the word said...

My daughter and I think your classroom looks lovely.
Lucky you!!

Working Mum said...

It looks a fabulous place to learn. I'm so jealous. My room is quite dark, being covered in oak panelling (very old building), but I have large windows that face East - result is I have to close the blinds every morning because the sun shines on the board!! Feel like a vampire!

Reya Mellicker said...

New windows on the world are always a very good thing. Love the synchronicity that my roommate just ordered new windows for my room (arriving in a couple of weeks).

Let the sun shine in!

Mickle in NZ said...

What an inviting classroom, space, light (so much better now), beauty and also plenty to look at, to ponder on, plus places to sit down and do, and to learn. And to teach.

A lovely surprise for you and Lauren, and then for your keen class.

Best wishes to you as you enter into the rundown to spring, I'm looking forward to early Autumn here,

Mickle in Wellington, NZ

Barbara said...

We humans thrive on light! The colors of your room are even more vivid with the new windows!

One of the things I like the least about the room in the shelter where we read is that it's in the basement with no external light. Everyone feels a little trapped down there!

Salty Miss Jill said...

What a beautiful place to learn. :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful classroom! I am jealous...and want to teach again!

Barbara said...

WOW I am Jealous!
In AZ they think that teaching in a "Cave" is best. Energy and all..blah,blah blah.
I say...All living things need light to survive:)
In the new school we will have a window and a door to the outside..can't wait.
THanks for stopping by my site the other day.
To answer your question..I don't have a problem with Blogger and my site..my address is a little complicated for anyone to remember...hehehe.
B.

J. David Zacko-Smith said...

You all have such a wonderful space . . . enjoy your added natural light, the new windows look fab.

Gary said...

Thanks for your comments. I realize I am very lucky to have such a fantastic space in which to teach. I read and hear about teachers forced to teach in closets and bathrooms. This may be a necessity (due to overcrowing and lack of space) but it does not set a very good example of respect for oneself or education. The least I can do is give thanks and express gratitude for what I have been given.

WAT said...

Ees so purty in there. Look at all dem fresh flowers. Looks like the lobby of the BELLAGIO in Las Vegas or something! What are you room rates?

;)

Gary said...

Update: It has been two weeks and still no shades as we were told. We are still happily enjoying the sunlight!

Wat: We just need some Chihuly glass sculptures and we are all set. Room rates are set on a sliding scale and we can barter the finer points.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails