Monday, May 21, 2012

Happy

If I were one of Disney's Seven Dwarfs it would surely be Happy.

At this very adult stage of my life my parents still call me their "happy baby".

It is a term of endearment that was coined when I was an infant filled with smiles, giggles and laughter.

This optimistic attitude has stayed with me and serves me well as I navigate the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

It seems I was born this way.

I read an article last week examining the qualities happy people possess and it really did describe me.  The list includes expressing gratitude, offering forgiveness, following your bliss instead of money or material possessions, nurturing social relationships, savoring life's joys, commitment to a goal, practicing spirituality and taking care of your body.

And in the spirit of expressing gratitude I will share some things that make me happy...

  • Lauren visited the classroom today for the first time since the birth of her son, Levi. After nine years of teaching together she feels like family.  I am at once her protective big brother and champion. We were a great team but I am excited to see where this stage of her life leads.  
  • I have had the great pleasure of meeting many outstanding children's book authors and illustrators over the years and most of them because they took the time to visit us! 


Oh, and counting your blessings.  These are a few of mine.  What are yours?

9 comments:

Xpressive Handz said...

Congratulations with being honored with the Eleanor M. Johnson award, Gary! How wonderful that you have a life filled with so many awesome blessings. :-)

Steve Reed said...

Congrats on the award, Gary! Fortunately, I've always been a pretty happy person, too -- I can be content in most situations, which is a valuable talent! Where it came from, I don't know. Maybe it's just laziness, but it works for me. :)

Gary said...

Thanks Xpressive. Life is good.

Steve - I could tell that you were a content, happy person the moment I met you. Well, even before we met because of your blog. But you seem more easy going than I am. I am always running around and seem to only stop when I crash into bed.

Arielle Lee Bair said...

I'm glad you're still a "happy baby" after all this time. Never losing that zest for life is so awesome. :)

Gary said...

Amen Arielle! I hope it continues.

WAT said...

I was born happy too! But then something happened...LOLOL!

All the best to you good-looking. I love your attitude. And your dress shirts and ties.

xoxoxoxooxoxo

Gary said...

Wat - You will find your way back to happy and when you do you'll appreciate it all the more. Thanks for the compliments - always appreciated and accepted. :)

booksRule said...

Congratulations, Gary! I would not be happy...I was actually cast as "Sleepy" when I was a child, but appreciate those souls "as bright as the morning" around me!

Ms.M said...

Oh I find that I'm happy with bouts of frustration and then grumpy-ness. But I always seem for find my way back to happy. Even if I'd is for a short period of time. You do certainly seem like a happy person Gary. That's why it's so nice to read you blog.

M

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails