Tuesday, February 28, 2012

International Reading Association Award

I found out today that I was selected to be the recipient of the 2012 Eleanor M. Johnson Elementary Teacher Award!

This award "recognizes an outstanding elementary classroom teacher of reading/language arts. It honors Eleanor M. Johnson, founder and editor-in-chief of Weekly Reader, who died in 1987. The award includes a monetary prize of US$1,000 supported by a grant from Weekly Reader Corporation".

The award will be officially announced on Monday, April 30 at the First General Session at the Annual Convention in Chicago.

I am pretty psyched and thankful to my Principal Dave, AUSSIE Literacy Consultant Lisa, coteacher Lauren and my student's parents for their beautiful nomination letters of support.

It looks like I am going to Chicago!

13 comments:

mouse (aka kimy) said...

alright gary!!!!! congratulations - much deserved!

Gary said...

Thanks love xo

Joy Keaton said...

As a former Weekly Reader fan, I am very proud and excited for you!

Hilary said...

Oh excellent. I'm not at all surprised though. Congrats to you, Gary.

Gary said...

Joy - It has been a good 24 hours. A walk through Central Park at midnight, sweet dreams and now this!

Hilary - Thanks so much!

Ms.M said...

I am not surprised, congrats!

Ms. M

Ms.M said...

BTW, why can't I subscribe to the comments anymore? :(

Ms. M

Gary said...

Ms. M. - Thank you so very much!

I have no idea what is going on with the comments section. It looks totally different now and I don't see any settings that either allow or disallow subscribing to comments. If anyone has any information please let me know.

Ms.M said...

It's back! :)

Ms. M

Xpressive Handz said...

Congrats to you, Gary!!

christopher said...

Congratulations...way to go!

Pauline said...

Wow! Congratulations - well deserved!

Can't wait to read your blog after your trip and award!

Gary said...

Ms. M. - That is good news. I have no idea why but at least it is back. :)

Xpressive - Thanks! The money will be put towards my doctoral studies in reading assessement with deaf chidren so stay tuned for how that develops over the next year.

Christopher - Thank you!

Pauline - Thanks! I have never been to an IRA convention but the whole thing looks massive and overwhelming. Have you ever attended? If so, any tips for getting through it?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails