Saturday, April 18, 2009

OH, NO!

OH, NO! is a simple game that Lauren modified from another game she saw once (but I cannot remember the original name). It is an easy game that motivates students to build their sight word vocabulary. Sight words are words that children recognize as soon as they see them. Their response should be immediate. The development of a strong sight word vocabulary leads to fluency and comprehension while reading. Conversely, if a child is expending a great deal of effort in trying to figure out an unknown word there is little cognitive functioning left for understanding.

OH, NO! encourages students to build this skill through continued repetition. Plus, they really enjoy playing. Here is all you need to do to play.

Get a shoe box, cut a hole in the top and cover it with colored paper.  Cut 5x7 index cards in half and write one sight word (or Dolch word) on each card.  Throw in a few cards with the words OH, NO! into the mix.

Now take turns pulling out a card and reading it.  If the word is new for the student support them by telling them the word but they must then put it back into the box. The object is to collect as many cards as possible. 

If you pull out an OH, NO! card you must put all of your cards back into the box.  However, the OH, NO! card is yours to keep.

See, SIMPLE

9 comments:

Barbara said...

My children would love this game I will have to try it with them..thanks!
Here is what we did with sight words...and had a blast..."Snow in Arizona". So fun:)Enjoy
http://mrsharmorskindergarten.blogspot.com/2009/02/snowball-fight-in-february-in-arizona.html
B.

lettuce said...

happy weekend gary!

(sounds like fun)

MarmiteToasty said...

Im going to make this game with me minded nippers this week :) I know it will be fun as well as educational....

fanks for the idea Gary...

x

Barbara said...

Children forget they are learning when they get to play games!

Mickle in NZ said...

This is so much fun.

Early on I can remember being completely puzzled by one word - was 1970, I was 5 and doing well until I came across "at" in a word list. Yes, I'd encountered it before, but this day I was so very puzzled.

Yes, the memory is still with me. Now "with " was another wee puzzlement a few weeks later......

Aren't words so much fun!

Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Maybe I need to do that with French and Spanish words as part of my improvement in those languages. I'm at about second grade level with both.

Mona said...

that is such a cute game. Learning while playing is great way to learn!

I love the drawing in the last post!

la bellina mammina said...

HI Gary

Been awhile! Sounds like a fun game I can try with more difficult words for my pre teens then...

LBM

Unknown said...

The game was called "BANG" perhaps "Oh no" is more PC.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails