Friday, April 23, 2010

Earth Day 2010

We celebrated Earth Day this past week which was"a pivotal opportunity for individuals and governments to join together and create a global green economy".

This was the 40th anniversary of Earth Day and it is no secret that we have been less than gracious to ever-giving Gaia.

Big changes may come if we refuse to make little changes now.

As a child I was always moved by that television commercial with the American Indian who rides his horse through the debris and pollution of our once beautiful landscape and sheds a quiet, helpless tear.

And that was quite a while ago; before we knew about global warming, the melting ice caps or the hole in the ozone layer. The poor guy would really be a mess nowadays.

Thankfully, there are folks out there making those little adjustments in their daily lives to help stave off a future too frightening to ponder.

Todd Parr, an author with a big heart (as evidenced by the fact that he personally sent me autographed copies of 5 of his wonderful books along with other goodies), writes of some ways children can make our world a place where we are all "happy and healthy!"

7 comments:

Joy Keaton said...

Awwwww.... I love the framing solution! Looks gorgeous. And I for one WILL be nice to worms.

Gary said...

Ha, I love that you knew exactly what I needed to do with that framing but that one little girl kept popping over it!

tut-tut said...

excited by our community garden plot; thanks for coming by.

Barbara said...

I'm glad you are teaching the next generation to be more mindful of our wonderful earth than we have been. I hope they can save us all!

Arielle Lee Bair said...

Steering the kids in a good direction. :)

PS> I love that little note on your sidebar from one of your students about wanting you to be his/her father. Priceless!

Gary said...

Hi Tut-Tut - We are all (hopefully) doing something or at least what we can. Good to see you on FYB!

Barbara - I hope so too, I really do.

Arielle - I love when the kids give me notes like that. It seems to be more prevalent in first grade than kindergarten. Although, I did just change that note with an acrostic poem I quite like. Especially the "Y" perception.

WAT said...

Good to see yet another Gary and Lauren vid. They sure brighten my spirits/day.

xoxooxoxoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails