Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Visit With Molly Shannon

Deliciously kooky actress, comedienne and writer Molly Shannon has added another designation to her already impressive list of credentials, that of children's book author.

Like Molly, her first children's book entitled Tilly the Trickster has a wee bit of mischief running through it.

Tilly is a young girl who enjoys making others laugh. The problem is, the target(s) of her pranks don't always share Tilly's jolly sense of amusement.

It's a slippery slope young Tilly finds herself on when she tricks her music teacher Mrs. Mooney ( I love that name. Could it be Mr. Mooney's wife from Here's Lucy?) and tastes the bitter fruit of her shenanigans.

Of course, it all works out in the end.  Well, at least...until tomorrow.

I am an unabashed fan of children's books so it comes as no surprise that I would be singing the praises of one on this blog, but I also am an old classmate of Molly's from our college days at New York University. Therefore, my endorsement comes with an added level of pride and support.

It has been over 20 years since I last saw Molly but when I spotted her at a book reading/signing at Barnes & Noble it truly felt like I was stepping easily back into the past.

It was nice to reconnect and I took the opportunity to invite her to visit my class to do a reading for my first grade students.  What children's book author doesn't enjoy getting feedback on their efforts in the form of laughter, giggles, questions and applause?

The visit hasn't happened (yet) but I remain confident that when time allows Molly will WOW the kids with Tilly the Trickster!

Click here and here to learn more about Molly and Tilly.

7 comments:

Ms.M said...

I am SUPER jealous. How exciting for your students.

Ms. M
Ms.M's Blog
A Teacher's Plan

Anonymous said...

I've always loved Molly's sketch comedy work, but I thought she showed great depth in the comedy/drama "Dog Years".

Lucky you to reconnect with her!

Barbara said...

I continue to be amazed at your connections! Of course she will come visit your classroom and the children will adore her.

Gary said...

Ms. M. - We have had some amazingly talented children's book authors and illustrators visit our school. It is certainly another advantage of our location.

Gregg - I read about that movie but still haven't seen it. I will add it to my Netflix queue pronto.

Barbara - I think Molly would have the kids entranced with her reading in a classroom setting. They are a wonderful audience (and I get to "perform" for them 5 days a week so I know). I'd love it if she could make it but realize she has a lot on her plate so am not holding my breath. But if it happens I would be as thrilled as the kids.

Pauline said...

If she does get to come to your classroom, take lots of photos and then share the high points with us please!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Gary. I've recently come to know this NYC blogger who wrote a great children's book about his god daughter. I thought you might want to check it out or even invite him to speak in your class:

http://www.thegreatwithin.org/2011/10/nora-noodle-of-new-york-city.html

Gary said...

Pauline - You can count on it!

Gregg - Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails