Sunday, March 18, 2012

When I Grow Up...

I asked the children...

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

This question was rooted in our social studies unit investigating the past, present and future.

Our big question revolves on the central point that things change over time (we are looking at this in terms of communication, transportation and tradition while exploring family history).

We discussed the fact that when I was younger I wanted to become a teacher.  I told them that I always loved the smell of books, enjoyed playing school and sharing what I was learning with others.  And said I was curious about their dreams.

Here are their replies...

When I grow up I will be a teacher.

Astronaut
A Vet
A (rocket) Scientist
A picture of me dreaming about being a pet walker.  A picture of me dreaming about being a ballerina and a pet walker.
There was also a train conductor, quite a few computer workers and game developers in addition to more of the above.  Who knew there were so many future astronauts?

7 comments:

Ms.M said...

This is always a fun question to ask. My favorite was the gas-proof rocket!

Ms. M

37paddington said...

i love that they are being encouraged to tune into their ambitions, their dreams.

Gary said...

Ms. M - That's a vision for sure! I am taken with the little kitty who is crying at the vet. What tears!

Angella - They were so animated and excited to discuss this. Who knew they had such clear ideas already. There was no hesitation at all. I am so happy to be in a position to encourage their ambitions and dreams. I take it very seriously.

Ms.M said...

Yes the tears are precious. It's all in the details.

Ms. M

Pauline said...

I don't remember such esoteric discussions occurring in classrooms when I was a child - I think even now I'd love to be in your class!

When asked by relatives about what i wanted to be as an adult, I would always reply, "A hermit." I'm not one, of course, but it's still a dream :)

Barbara said...

Interesting! This was our theme at the shelter last night. One precocious little 4-1/2-year-old girl first said a PRINCESS. Then she said a DOCTOR. She finally settled on a PRINCESS DOCTOR. I hope she pulls that one off. We need more princess doctors out there!

Gary said...

Pauline - I had the kids write short bios for their NF books (post about that to follow) and one boy wrote, "I don't know what I want to be when I grow up". It seems a legitimate response. I know adults who say the same thing. The undelying goal, I suppose, is to make money doing something you love. I wonder how I could make money sleeping.

Barbara - A princess doctor! That's great. Maybe you could do a superhero theme one night. Our preschool did a great project on that topic. I hope to post about it soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails