Saturday, July 18, 2015

Crêpes by Suzette


Lord knows I love me some children's books.  And oh, what fun it is to learn that a favorite title has taken on new life as an exciting, jaunty app.  This news has me cheering, "C'est magnifique!"

I first discovered Crêpes by Suzette - written and illustrated by Monica Wellington - a few years ago. My teaching partner, Michelle, and I were studying France with our kindergarten students and this literary slice of Parisian life had all the right ingredients.

Michelle fait des crêpes
* Historical Parisian landmarks to promote inquiry and discussion

* A map of Paris to provide visual support of Suzette's travels

* Targeted French words and phrases to introduce new vocabulary

* Engaging illustrations superimposed upon photographs of Paris to capture a child's imagination

* A delicious and easy crêpe recipe that we took full advantage of with just a hot plate and a pan.

The new app expands on all of this by providing a multimedia experience that adds new life to this treasured book.

This new incarnation contains scrumptious videos of a French marketplace, the pristine Luxembourg Gardens, Notre Dame Cathedral and the River Seine, the Louvre Museum, the Palais-Garnier, and the Eiffel Tower presented along with engaging music and art commentary.

There is even a Do-It-Yourself (DIY) crêpe making video tutorial!


The app is easy to navigate with clearly marked icons (see above) to take you where you want to go.

I am thrilled to rediscover this wonderful book and learn about this app just in time for my upcoming trip to Paris and Grasse.  How timely!

You can bet I will be enjoying a crêpe (or two) as I stroll through Montparnasse.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails