Saturday, August 17, 2024

Year 29!

Clock design by Tibor Kalman for The New Victory Theater
 
In a few weeks, I step into my 29th year as an elementary school teacher of D/deaf, hard of hearing, and hearing children. My joys, frustrations, and reflections on that experience are recorded on this blog (for the past 17 years anyway). It's been quite the ride. It hasn't always been good, but when I look back I feel exceedingly blessed.

I've learned some things along the way.

1. I love teaching young children and I am very good at it.

2. Children thrive under a teacher who believes in them and one who is knowledgable in linguistic, psychosocial, emotional, and educational development.

3. Good teachers retire as teachers. Bad teachers retire as administrators. *

4. Administrators, coaches, politicians, and policy makers rarely add value to what happens in the classroom. In fact, teachers are often only successful when they find ways around this outside interference. It isn't easy to do. The emotional toll expended fighting against the pig-headed bureaucracy has caused a teacher shortage. The structure of our educational system needs to be reimagined allowing for more teacher input. We are the experts. Take heed!

5. There is nothing truly new. Research can be manipulated, like bible quotes, to fit the story one is trying to tell. Education is a money-making machine with a cyclical recycling of ideas containing new labels and catchphrases designed to keep the money rolling in. 

6. Children are amazing and will astound you with their insights.

This year begins on a wing and a prayer. I teach in an ICT classroom and my team teacher is out on maternity leave. Meanwhile, my home life may require me to take time off from work here and there. But even with all of the professional and personal stresses, I am looking forward to Year 29. I suppose that says it all.

*some exceptions apply

3 comments:

JJ said...

So proud of you !!!!
That’s an understatement. Any child that gets to have you as a teacher is beyond so fortunate. You truly are an angel. Congratulations on your 29th year. I’m sure it going to be amazing 💕.

Steve Reed said...

Congratulations on Year 29! I detect some understandable frustration in your assessments of administrators and the bureaucracy. Wouldn't it be nice to have a little schoolhouse out on some prairie like Miss Beadle in the "Little House" books, and you could just teach however you wanted with no outside interference? :)

Gary said...

Ha, I read a paragraph about "nothing new in education" to my husband and he said I sounded jaded. I'm not. I'm just not as full of sunshine as I once was. Imagine teaching in a one room school house with all those different grades? I'm sure Miss Beadle had her outside annoyances too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails