Sunday, May 6, 2012

Doc

With my Dissertation Committee Chairperson  Dr. Uhry
Fordham University held its annual Student Research Celebration this past week. This event is a tradition for students in the Graduate School of Education to show off their educational wares.

This can include mini-research projects from courses, research apprenticeship projects and portions of dissertations.

It is a poster session format with folks milling about and informally chatting with one another about their work.  I love these things because it gives me an opportunity to talk with other doctoral students, get their feedback and network.

This session was particularly fruitful for me as I was able to exchange information with two women who have contacts at schools and programs I want to involve in my study.


Aside from the professional aspect, it is wonderful to chat with friends over hors d'oeuvres, take pictures, laugh and commiserate.  Earning a Ph.D. is an exciting, difficult and long journey and it's nice to know I'm not alone.

5 comments:

mouse (aka kimy) said...

yeah gary!! you are soooooo close!

Ms.M said...

Sounds like a great experience.

M

Arielle Bair, MSW, LSW said...

Yay! I love research and I love hearing about it. Congrats on all you are doing!

Gary said...

Kimy - Getting closer but still not as close as you were. I keep telling myself that I have another 18 months but realistically, inwardly acknowledge that it will be 24 or more.

Ms. M. - It was fun because I got was able to catch up and commiserate with other doc students. We are all so in our own heads sometimes so it's nice to "socialize".

Arielle - Thank you. Like you, I am juggling many things at once. It would be so much easier if I wasn't working full time and commuting 4 hours a day. But I am like the turtle, slow and steady. I'll reach the finish line one of these days.

WAT said...

I am very proud of you. You have worked hard for this! Keep going! It may seem like you still have lots to go, but time goes by quick! LOOKING GOOD TOO!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails