Sunday, November 7, 2021

"Happy Solar Return to You"

Happy Birthday cards and wishes from students (past & present)
 
I really love my birthday. No examination of why has ever fully explained the reason, but it is simply a day I feel is all mine (even if I do share it with my twin brother). I feel elevated and special on my birthday. I suppose everyone does, no? 

However, this year my expectations entering into it were fairly low. I am still in a fragile place emotionally after the passing of my mom. Nothing feels as special as it once did. My perspective on things remains askew. Thankfully, the good people in my life made this birthday feel like a comfortable blanket wrapping me in safety, appreciation, and love. 

Texts came in shortly after midnight as family and friends jockeyed to be the first to wish me a happy birthday. In the morning, I met my friend, Sarah, on the NJ Transit train going into work. She gifted me with an assortment of fancy-schmancy soaps, which is a guilty pleasure of mine. My phone buzzed with birthday wishes and unexpected presents. Lovely Facebook messages appeared throughout the day. The texts and posts brought back sweet memories of moments spent together. Each one underscoring the passage of time that brought me to today. Friends stopped by my classroom with gifts and hugs. My team teacher, Dawn, led the class in singing/signing Happy Birthday. Young children attempted to count to my advanced age, but got mucked up with the teen numbers as they chanted, "Are you one, are you two..."

Later in the day, the second graders visited with a stack of handmade birthday cards. That really touched me. Those kids know me. Curious George appeared in many of them, along with proclamations that I am the best teacher. 

Not to be outdone, my kindergarten students also handed me their cards. They read their scribbles and swirls - I love that stage in writing development - and explained their pictures. There I was in their drawings, standing happily beside them. It's a place of happiness and fulfillment for me. 

Parent Teacher conferences were in the afternoon and the PTA bought me a birthday cake. It was a thoughtful gesture signaling community, belonging, and support. The love continued when I got home. The house was filled with bouquets of yellow flowers (my favorite). Preparations for my requested birthday meal were underway and I spied a stack of presents ready to be unwrapped after dinner. 

An unexpected birthday bonus came with the ABC News story about Lauren that included photos of our time together in the classroom and a shout-out to me. The story got my partner, Ed, a bit choked up and we both said how much my mom (and his parents) would have enjoyed it.

Afterwards, we popped the champagne and toasted to another year. I have much to be grateful for even if I am still adjusting to a life diminished by grief. I am grateful to everyone who sent a message, a song (thanks, Liz), a gift, or a good thought. How wonderful it is to be loved and supported by all of you. Thank you.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails